- The BPF / IPD Annual Lease Review provides a full and detailed analysis of lease lengths, break clauses, rent free periods and income profiles. The analysis has now been extended to incorporate the 10,316 new leases granted in 2011.
- The average length of all lettings fell from 5.3 years in 2010 to 4.8 years in 2011, measured on an equally weighted basis and including the first break where applicable.
- The average length of all new leases weighted by rent (including break clauses) continued to rise to 9.8 years in 2011, the longest recorded since 2007.
- 2011 saw an increase in the proportion of leases up to five years in length from 63% in 2010 to 76% in 2011.
- The proportion of leases with break clauses increased in 2011 to 33.2% compared to 31.1% in 2010.
- The proportion of leases with breaks increased on all leases except those that are less than 5 years in length or between 16-20 years.
Source : IPD